Tuesday, November 18, 2014

In the Service of What

In the Service of What


In the article, In the Service of What? by: Kahne and Westheimer, they speak about the importance of service learning is not only to yourself but also to the schools and students you work with. Service learning goes both ways you're learning how to better your teaching skill and the student is being helped in things they struggle in. As part of passing to the next grade in my high school we did something similar to service learning called internships. Every student had an internship my internship for most of my high school years was at an Elementary school working with the same bilingual teacher. The first year with the teacher She was a second grade Bilingual teacher and so I would work one on one with the students and mostly helping them with their literacy skills for example timing the students accuracy reading words, I was also able to teach a math lesson, and create a book for the class about the zoo and zoo animals because they were going to visit the zoo. The next year i was in a first grade bilingual class and practically did they same thing except thing time the teacher taught me how to compute each students literacy grades. which I was then held responsible for grading every quarter. This experience helped me learn some teaching skill but also helped the students.


Service learning is a great part of the college experience because if we were not able to help out in schools working with students not everyone would know how it felt like to work with the students and help determine if they like this profession.
Even though my experience was something that was part of my graduation requirement I still believe it was a was of service learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment