Sunday, December 21, 2014

Becoming Something Different

Reflection

Becoming Something Different by: Colleen Fairbanks and Penny Mason Crooks

While reading the article Becoming Something Different I was reminded of my own experience growing up. My parents are the first of my family to come over to the United States from Dominican Republic, and so I am a first generation Dominican-American. I am the youngest of my family and the first to attend college. Every since I was young my dad had always talked to me about his dreams of my success because of the opportunities he knows I would have because I was born in this country. Since both my parents came from a Spanish speaking country English was extremely hard for them to learn. And so homework was something that at first I would have to do alone or with my siblings. My parents really couldn't help. But they always made sure they had a good relationship with my teachers and they would ask the teacher my progress in school and always ask how my homework was. They always gave me examples of other people success living in this country, to show and motivate me to always do my best as this country to the was one of the best countries which brought many people success.


Reading About Esme made me think of all the trouble my parents went through to get me motivated in everything I did. Also seeing my parents try their best in school himself helped and motivated me. Seeing their desire of me extending my education is great coming from where they came from with very little resources helps a lot.
This reading reminded me of Aria by Richard Rodriguez which was also my a first generation Mexican family and how they went about trying to help their child with their education and things they did to help them learn which had a bad effect on them culture wise.


This article Becoming Something Different was a great read.

Surround Yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment