Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Hunger of Memory


Richard Rodriguez: Hunger of Memory

While I read this autobiography of Richard Rodriguez all I could think of was myself. I am from first generation immigrant parents and so my parents both only knew Spanish when I was a little kid, so my first language is Spanish. But as I started school I started losing it little by little. Till I had to travel to my parents country no one knew English, so I wouldn't speak too much. Till one day the Spanish just seemed to kick a little in me. So know I speak both English and Spanish but I don't feel comfortable speaking either language in front of people because I might just start speaking Spanglish.
The reason why I lost my Spanish when in school was because of all of my cousins and siblings, not because I was told to by a nun. And so there's the difference between my story and Richard Rodriguez’s. But I do feel ashamed when i think about the possibility of having both languages fluently it I had the chance to go back in time and change the part where I lost my Spanish. Knowing more than one language is great when looking for job opportunities bilingualism help out a lot.




No comments:

Post a Comment